Friday, June 02, 2006

War Memorial Museum

I am about a week behind on blogging, so I will update it today.

Friday, May 26

I've been reading the book that Helen and Chris got me called, "Seoul, by Lonely Planet" This book is great for people who are planning on exploring Seoul, Korea, since it has a lot of information as to where to go and what to see. I have a list of places that I am planning on going in the next few months to learn more about Korea. The good thing is that all the places that I want to go is only about 45-60 minutes away from my house. I decided to start my adventure by going to the War Memorial Museum, which documents the many attacks on Korea by Mongols, Chinese, Japanese, and other groups. This was the first time taking the subway by myself too, but it was pretty easy. I got to the Museum about 1pm and as I walked around, I felt like such a tourist! I had my digital camera in one hand, and my video camera in the other hand. The only thing that was missing was a fanny pack, Mickey mouse t-shirt, I Love Dodgers baseball cap, white tennis shoes with white socks pulled up to my knees. It reminded me of those tourists that you see at Disneyland.

Anyways, I was amazed by all the tanks, jets, and other equipments that were displayed. They had everything from fighter jets, tanks, supply trucks, boats, canons, and more. Every Friday at 2pm, they have a performance by a military band, weapon twirling by the honor guard of the army, navy, and air force, so I watched that for a little bit. When it was over I purchased my ticket for only 3000 Won ($3.00) to go inside the museum. It had 4 floors of more war memorabilia's. Inside the museum it showed detailed description of the Korean War using news clips, pictures, maps and artifacts from that period. It had many action pictures from the war, war hero's, war timeline, display of actual living of refugees, soldiers, demonstrations, weapons and more. There were too many to list. They also showed Korean soldiers involvement in the Vietnam War, and other attacks. I took about 500 pictures, but I had to stop, since I ran out of batteries. This place is a must see, and you will be amazed and touched when you get done. Korea has been through a lot in it's developing years, since it has been invaded so many times. Before the Korean War, the Japanese occupied Korea 1000's of years ago, and again between 1910-1945, but both times they were forced out by the Korean people. During the occupation, the Japanese used Korean men as work slaves, and Korean woman as sex slaves, and other unthinkable things. The Japanese even forced the Korean men and women to build a prison called Seodaemun Prison, which was used to imprison those that were against the Japanese control. They even killed civilians in public to show fear among them. A lot of innocent men, women, and children were killed during the occupation, and during the Korean War. Here's a link that explains in more detail of the Japanese Occupation

I was at the museum for about 5 hours, but I still did not get to see everything. I had to cut it short, since I had to meet up with Sarah that night. I will definitely come back to see the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home