Thursday, May 18, 2006

I've made it to Seoul

Yes, I am in Korea! I arrived in Incheon airport at 5am. The airport was pretty dead, since it was so early. The flight was pretty smooth. I watched couple of movies during the flight, which made the flight go a lot quicker. I watched Glory Days, and Memoirs of Geisha. I also watched a documentary on Hines Ward, and his Korean mother, which was pretty inspirational. If you don't know who Hines Ward is, then he is the football player that got the MVP award on the last Superbowl. If you don't know what the superbowl is... Michelle...., then it's related to football.

The documentary talked about how he was embarassed to have a Korean mother when he was a child, then realized how much she suffered raising him. His mom worked 3 jobs to support him, since his father did not support him at all. Even with his success, she still chose to work at the cafeteria at the local high school. He even told her that she can do whatever she wants to enjoy her life and he will support her financially, but she still chose the working path. He even promised that he will have a scholarship available and name it after his mom to support the Korean community.

Anyways, back to my story. After getting all my luggage, I changed my American dollars to Korean Won, then I attempted to use the calling card that I got before I left, but I could not figure out the payphones. I wanted to call my mom to tell her that I arrived OK, but I could not do so. She was pretty upset that I left, so I did not want to worry her, but I had to leave to catch the bus. I took the Limousine bus that took me to Seoul University. Also, I ran into a girl from Australia (I think...) that just got here today to start her 2nd year of being a english teacher. We chatted for a bit, until she had to get off at Gimpo airport. Back to my story again... The place I will be living at is a very short walk from Seoul University. My cousin met me there and he helped me with my luggage. When we got to the place, he realized how heavy the bags were, so he went up to the third floor (the floor I will be living at) and recruited 3 guys to help him carry the bags upstairs. When they came down, they tried to say Hello in broken english, then I said Hello in Korean and they all started lauging, since they thought I didn't know any Korean. After, we dropped off all my luggage at my place, we went shopping to get some things for my place. I ended up picking up a cell phone too. My cousin got it for me under his name, since they would not give me one, since I am a foreigner. I got the LG-LF1200, which is a pretty cool phone, but I will get back to you after I use it for a little bit. I could not believe the selection I had on the phones. There were so many to choose from, and the technology is so much more advanced than what the states carry. We also met up with my uncle and had lunch. We ended up having Soy Bean Paste Stew, which was really good. It reminded of my mom's cooking... she makes the best stews!!!

It's 8:30pm, and I am pretty beat. I think the jet lag is kicking in, so I am going to unpack a little bit, then get some rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home