Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hiking in the rain in Gwanaksan

On Monday, I was suppose to meet up with my Aunt, but it got postponed until tomorrow, so I ended up going hiking. I live right next to some trails, so I wanted to check them out. I knew the rain was in the forecast, but I went anyways. I started off at this trail called Rocky Mountain (Dol San), which was full of huge rocks and when I got to the top there was the Taeguki (Korean Flag) mounted on the rock. As soon as passed that, the rocks started get bigger and bigger and even steeper. Then I ended up at this trail called Knife Mountain (Khar San), which was full of sharp huge rocks. I climbed some of them, but it got steeper and steeper as I got further. As I stood there, this old man starts to climb it with no effort, so I followed him up. Then, I came up to this one spot thinking that there is no way I am going to climb that, and at the same time I was exhausted. For that reason, I turned around to go back home, but then this old lady passes me and to my amazement she starts to climb it, so I turned back around and followed her up. I could not believe how good of a shape some of these senior citizens are. They put me to shame! Anyways, it started to rain a little bit, so I turned around to go back home. On my way back I ended up getting lost and ended up walking around for about 3 hours. I finally found the bottom and by that time it was pouring rain. In about 15 minutes I was drenched. I took cover inside a phone booth for a little bit, but I got bored just standing there, so I continued to walk in the rain. Then I found this small restaurant, so I went inside to get out of the rain, and to get some lunch. I had some hot Ohdang soup, and some kimbap, which warmed me up. Finally, the rain slowed down, so I found my way back home.

Here are some pictures from the hike. The last picture is a sign that warned hikers that it is dangerous beyond that point. I didn't get a chance to take more pictures after that, since I was too busy climbing the steep rocks.


Seoul University



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home