Sunday, June 11, 2006

Rest In Peace...

When I decided make my journey to Korea back in January, I did some research on line to find out what it would be like to live here. I found a lot of websites that described Korea and how great everything is here, but that isn't reality. All those websites were written to bring in tourists, but then I ran into a blog written by an Westerner named Shawn Korea Life Blog

Shawn's blog was written from his personal experiences he had experienced in the 3 years he had lived in Korea. I was drawn to his blog because he had no shame about his life in Korea and he shared it with the world. He even published a book titled, "Korean Life Blog". Reading his blog and knowing his day to day life, I felt that I personally knew him. I planned on meeting him when I got to Korea to buy him a beer to thank him for giving me a better idea of Korea, but he decided to move to China to start his new adventure, so his blog was not updated anymore.

After he moved to China, he started a new blog to share his life in China, which I followed time to time, but his blog was leaning more towards his relationship issues with his girlfriend, so I stopped following it.

Couple of weeks ago Shawn took his life by jumping off of the roof of his apartment building in China. I don't know the whole story, and I don't want to speculate. Here's a link that describes his final days written by his friend Jake Shawns Final Story. I also read that his father committed suicide recently as well, which I am sure it affected him a lot.

I can't imagine what went through Shawn's mind when he found out that his father took his own life. Losing a loved one is very devastating. Shawn's death made me think about a death that I had to deal with recently. On January 24, 2006, I lost my father due to a heart attack. On January 31, 2006, which was my birthday, we put him to rest. It was a very sad event for me, since I had a lot of guilt. I did not have the best relationship with him before he passed, so I did not have a chance to tell him that I loved him. I have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I know he is up above looking over us and I know that he is in good hands living his new life with God. Take my advice and tell your loved ones that you love them, before it's too late. If you have a bad relationship with someone, then be the bigger person and make the effort to patch up the relationship. You will be thankful later.

I wrote an eulogy that was very personal to me. Originally, I wasn't going to share this with anybody, but I read this during the funeral and now I am showing it to the world… enjoy!

Message to my Beloved Dad

Dad,

I am sorry for not being there for you on your last days. I wish I held you in my arms before you passed away, just like you held me on your arms when I was born. If I only had one wish, then my wish would be to have one more day with you. One day will not be enough time to tell you how much I love you, but it will be a chance to see your smile one more time. It has been really hard to hold back my tears, but seeing your smile helps me wipe away the tears. Your smile will never fade away, but it will only get brighter. You are my light, my strength, and my savior. I will always keep a part of you with me, wherever I go. I will miss laughing with you, crying with you, but most of all, I will miss the comfort of being held by you. Thank You for the great memories. I will cherish them forever. I will never stop loving you. We will meet again, but until then, I will miss you. Take care and see you soon.

Your son,

January 31, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home