Monday, August 07, 2006

Powerful service

About a month ago, I met this girl named Eun Young at the church that I went to at the time. Normally, she commutes over an hour to go to another church, but she didn't have the time that day. For that reason, she came to ours and that is how we met. Anyways, she somehow got my number and called me to ask, if I wanted to go to her church. Coincidentally, I was looking to go to a different church that offered an English service and her church did. Originally, I thought that I will be able to understand the Korean service, but that wasn't the case. I guess my Korean wasn't good enough to understand what the Pastor was saying. His way of explaining things were kind of weird, and he had no enthusiasm. I thought that it was because I didn't know enough Korean, but Eun Young said the same thing and she is pure Korean.

I met up with Eun Young around 12pm and went to the new church with her. This church was HUGE! I think it had 4 floors. The church is in Dongdaemun and it's called Dongan Presbyterian Church. First, she went to the English service with me which was pretty good and had about 50 people. Then, we went upstairs to the main room to the Korean service. I was amazed! I've never been to a church so big in my life. It had two floors and every seat was filled. They had a huge choir, live band, camera crew, etc. We got there towards the end of the service, but it was amazing. I can not explain with words how powerful it was. The pastor was incredible! He had so much enthusiasm. I didn't understand what the heck he was saying, but his demeanor was very moving. We all stood up and started praying out loud, while the Pastor did the same thing. About a minute later, I started to get the goose bumps. I can't explain why, but it happened. I looked around and people were crying. They were literally balling their eyes out. I gurantee you that you will be moved, if you attend this service. You don't have to understand a word of Korean to feel what I felt. The thing is, I haven't been attending church on a regular basis when I lived in the states, so for me to tell all of you that I was emotionally touched means a lot.

Then, she took me to another room where all the single people from the ages of 18 and up meet. It was just a quick meeting to introduce ourselves and discuss upcoming events. I had to go to the front of the room and introduce myself and everyone was very welcoming. They even set me up with a buddy, which is someone that is responsible to show me around the church. Luckily, she spoke some English. Every single one of them were awesome! They were super nice and made me feel at home. Then, whole bunch of us went out to get some dinner and went to Coffee Bean.

It was a great day. I was totally surprised of what happened today. I didn't expect it at all. I even picked up 3 private tutors too(they are very cute by the way).

I didn't think my day could get better, but on my way home, I stopped by at this small restaurant to get some food. I ordered pork cutlet (dongkas) and when I got my food, the lady asked me if I wanted a bigger piece of the pork. She said to me, " You look like you work out a lot, are you an athlete?" She made me blush a little bit, since all these people in the restaurant were staring at me. I didn't know how to respond to that, so I just laughed and thanked her. Then, she comes back and puts another big piece of the pork cutlet on my plate and loads up my side dishes. It was the best service I've gotten since I've been in Korea. When it was time to pay, she didn't charge me extra, so I decided to tip her. I know it's not common to tip in Korea and some Koreans get offended by it, but I explained to her that it's the American way. She was totally shocked and chased me out the door to give it back, but I explained to her, again, that I am originally from California and that if I receive good service, I tip them. She still insisted on giving it back, but I started walking really fast, so she finally said thank you really loud and waved me goodbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home