Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Morning commute...

I can't stand the morning commute to work in the morning! The packed bus and the packed subway are starting to get on my nerves. I have to be at work by 9am, so I usually leave my house around 7:45am. It only takes about 30 minutes to get to work, but sometimes I have to wait for the next bus or the subway since they get so packed to the point that I can't even get in. I need to get a motorcycle or something!

Actually, for those that didn't know, I have been working at this English institute for about 3 weeks now. I didn't mention it before because I wasn't sure if I wanted to work there or not. The institute is located in Apgujeong which is the wealthy part of Seoul. This town is considered to be the Beverly Hills of Korea, since the whole street is filled with stores such as: Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and other top name brand stores. Also, you will find high end car dealerships such as Rolls Royce, Mercedes, and BMW dealerships. Also, most of the cars that you will see in this town are Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's, or other foreign cars. But, if you go to where I live, then you will see Hyundai's, Daewoo's, and other Korean made cars. It's night and day when you compare the two towns. Even the way people look and dress are totally different too. I will admit that my eyes wander a lot on my way to work. In California, it's normal to see women in clothes that show a lot of skin, but it's rare to see them in Korea.

I teach kids from Kindergarten to Grammar school. These kids are so adorable, but some are just spoiled. I have some students that have their own drivers! I mean Drivers as in Chauffeurs! What does that tell you? Anyways, the youngest I teach are 5 years old and the oldest are 9 years old. I have a morning class, of 8 students, that I teach that are all 6 years old. Some of these kids are very smart and eager to learn but some are just a handful. Most of all, they are all adorable and polite. I did lose one of my favorite 5 year old girls though. She ended up going to America and she will be staying there for about a year. Every morning, all of them greet me by saying, " Good Morning Ken Teacher", then they bow. Also, couple of the girls always grabs my hand and walks me to the classroom. Too bad, I don't have anybody my age the grabs my hand and walks me home everyday. Oh well!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jes said...

My first week in Seoul I got hit by a car in Apgujong. I was standing on the sidewalk. Haven't gone back since.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Seoul Tiger said...

I guess you survived it, since you're still around.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home