Saturday, June 24, 2006

Korea loses...

What a disappointment! Korea lost their match against the Swiss, which eliminated them from advancing to the next round. We'll have to wait 4 years for a another chance.

I stayed up again to catch the 4 am game, but this time I saw it at a bar. I started my day meeting up with Jennifer at about 5pm in Kangnam. We ended up seeing a Korean movie (forgot the title), which was ok. The movie finished up about 9:15pm, but I had plans to meet up with Sarah, and a few others at 10pm to find a bar to watch the game, so I called it a night with Jennifer. On my way to Ilsan, Sarah called to change the meeting spot to Sinchon, so I had to back track a little bit to transfer subways. Unfortunately, Sinchon is on the way to the City Hall, so the subway was packed. City Hall is where everyone goes to watch the game. They even had live concerts and other events to entertain the crowd until game time.

Finally, I managed to get to Sinchon in one piece. I felt like I was packed like a sardine in the sardine can, since there were so many people. I was in the subway for about 30 minutes, and I don't think I moved an inch from the spot that I was standing. It was kind of funny because when the subway shifted one way, we all shifted in that direction leaning on each other or supporting each other from falling over, then when it shifted the other way, we leaned the other way in unison. Talk about working together!

Sinchon was packed too, but I don't think it was bad as City Hall. This place was roaming with people dressed up to support their country. Red shirts, face paint, and devils ears that lights up were common, but some people wore the Korean flag as a cape or a dress. Everybody were screaming, "DE HAN MIN GUK" - "DE HAN MIN GUK"! How could you not get into the sport when you are surrounded by all these people. I am not even a soccer fan and I got hooked!

I met up with Sarah and Min by the subway, then we went looking around to find a bar that had a TV. It was about 11pm, but most of the places were already packed. Luckily, we found a nice bar with a huge TV. We still had to meet up with a few others, so we just ordered some drinks and food. I ordered a beer, but Sarah ordered the strawberry cocktail soju, which was actually not bad. After downing some drinks and shots, we met up with the rest of the group, which I forgot their names. I know it was Sarah, Min, Iris, a Korean girl, and some guy from New York. We were all Korean Americans, except for Min and the Korean girl.

Then, we ordered a pitcher of the peach cocktail soju and some more beer. By this time, we were getting a little buzzed, so our conversation was getting a little loud. Keep in mind that we were all speaking English, so everybody were staring at us too. They probably thought that we were showing off our English or something. Anyways, we were having a good time, but Sarah had this genius idea to go to a Norebang (Karaoke bar) and leave the bar that we were at. It was about 2 am and I had a feeling that, if we leave then we will not find a another place to watch the game. But, we all left and went to the Norebang. After singing a few songs, we left about 3:30am to find a another bar to watch the game, but they were all full. We were running around to every bar, but we could not find one. After about 30 minutes of running around, we finally found a bar to watch the game. The game was not that exciting, so couple of the girls fell asleep, but got woken up by people screaming when Korea got close to scoring. They jumped up from sleeping thinking that Korea scored, but it was just a tease. After the game, everybody were pretty quiet and a lot of their heads were down. There were so much enthusiasm the night before, but the loss put a sour taste in their mouths.

Once again, in the subway, I felt like a packed sardine on my way back home. When I got off the subway, I didn’t want to deal with the crowd again, so I took a taxi, instead of the bus. It was a long fun night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home